In today’s rapidly evolving digital landscape, the role of a Designer has become more critical than ever before. User experience has emerged as a key differentiator for businesses, leading to a growing demand for professionals who can create intuitive, seamless, and delightful experiences for users. In this context, championing product design consultants can greatly benefit UX designers, allowing them to leverage external expertise, drive innovation, be regarded as the specialist in the product (not just UX) and overall deliver better user experiences.
1. Expanding Perspectives:
As a UX designer, it is crucial to stay updated with the latest design trends and industry best practices. While internal design teams may provide valuable insights, collaborating with product design consultants brings fresh perspectives and diverse experiences to the table. Their knowledge of different sectors, industries, and user demographics helps expand the designer’s mindset, enabling them to think beyond conventional boundaries and create truly unique experiences.
2. Specialized Skills and Expertise:
Product design consultants possess specialized skills honed through their extensive experience working on various projects. They bring a wealth of knowledge in areas such as interaction design, information architecture, behavioral design. By championing their involvement, UX designers can tap into this expertise to enhance their own skill set and elevate the quality of their designs. Collaborating with consultants fosters a continuous learning environment, pushing the boundaries of design and enabling the development of innovative solutions.
3. Flexibility and Scalability:
In today’s dynamic business environment, companies often face resource constraints in terms of time, budget, or human capital. By championing product design consultants, you can get that extra brain power and experience when its needed. Consultants bring flexibility and scalability to the table, allowing designers to tap into their resources whenever required. This partnership empowers designers to meet tight deadlines, handle complex projects, and adapt to changing business needs efficiently.
4. Cross-functional Collaboration:
Effective collaboration is vital for successful product design. UX designers often work closely with various stakeholders, including developers, marketers, and business analysts. Product design consultants can act as catalysts in fostering cross-functional collaboration by providing a fresh perspective and serving as a bridge between different teams. Their ability to align business goals with user needs ensures that designs are not only aesthetically pleasing but also aligned with the organization’s objectives.
5. Bring the best:
A UX designer’s role extends beyond crafting exceptional experiences; they also need to nurture client relationships. By engaging product design consultants, designers demonstrate their commitment to delivering the best possible outcomes for their clients. The inclusion of external consultants can add a layer of professionalism, trust, and credibility, which clients appreciate. This ultimately strengthens the UX designer’s position within the company and increases the likelihood of repeat business or referrals.
In the ever-evolving field of user experience design, championing product design consultants is a strategic move for UX designers when freelancing on working within the organization. By embracing external expertise, designers can access fresh perspectives, specialized skills, and scalable resources. Collaborating with consultants fosters innovation, strengthens cross-functional collaboration, and ultimately results in superior user experiences.
You can read about the IADB innovation and creative division experience of adding us to the mix here.
How and when to propose the stakeholders to incorporate consultants?
When proposing the incorporation of product design consultants to stakeholders, it is important to approach the conversation strategically. Here are some tips on how and when to propose the idea:
1. Identify the Need: Before approaching stakeholders, analyze the specific needs and challenges that your UX team is facing. Are there resource constraints, tight deadlines, or a need for fresh perspectives? Clearly articulate the reasons why product design consultants can help address these needs and enhance the overall design process.
2. Gather Evidence: Collect data and evidence that supports the value of incorporating product design consultants. This could include case studies, success stories, or testimonials from companies that have benefited from their involvement. Showcasing the positive impact consultants have made in similar situations will help build a strong case.
3. Align with Business Goals: Frame the proposal in a way that aligns with the organization’s strategic objectives. Highlight how the expertise of product design consultants can contribute to achieving business goals, such as improving customer satisfaction, increasing conversions, or enhancing brand reputation. Linking their involvement to tangible outcomes will make the proposal more compelling.
4. Timing is Key: Choose an opportune moment to propose the idea. This could be during a project kickoff meeting, a design team meeting, or a strategic planning session. Ensure that the stakeholders are receptive and open to new ideas. If possible, showcase examples of successful projects where external consultants have been involved to further emphasize the benefits.
5. Showcase Cost-Effectiveness: Address any concerns about the financial implications of hiring consultants. Emphasize how their expertise can lead to more efficient and effective design processes, ultimately saving time and money in the long run. Highlight the flexibility and scalability they offer, making it possible to tap into their resources as needed.
6. Emphasize Collaborative Approach: Position the involvement of product design consultants as a collaborative effort that complements the skills and expertise of the existing UX team. Emphasize how their external perspective and specialized knowledge can enhance the team’s capabilities and lead to better outcomes for both the company and its users.
By presenting a well-reasoned proposal, backed by evidence and aligned with the organization’s goals, UX designers can effectively champion the incorporation of product design consultants and gain the support of stakeholders.