- UX JOBS
- UX MAGAZINE
This is a database Graphical User Interface (GUI) development, support, and maintenance position for a NASA Earth Science Program. The role requires an accomplished GUI and database developer, expert in using the dynamic programming tools and languages that enable advanced and innovative GUIs and relational databases. The individual will report to the contractor management as well as civil servant management. The role includes design, development, and maintenance of relational database interfaces and software applications related to database functionality. This position will also include database support to interactive Web sites, applications, and services for both internal and public sites. This role requires working with technical and non-technical staff and customers to understand user and organizational needs and to develop databases and their interfaces to meet functional requirements. This position calls for an in-depth understanding of the software development lifecycle and ability to communicate project status, issues, and resolutions.
The Engineer will be responsible for designing user experiences and workflows that are user friendly, visually appealing and technically feasible, for both browser-based and mobile applications. Projects will include designing a cross-browser UI/UX for an application built primarily for desktop use on Windows and Mac, maintaining a similar look and feel for subsets of functionality extended into tablet/mobile browser and native applications. Additional duties will include establishing UI/UX design processes and principals throughout our product development process.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
• Establish UI/UX design processes and principles to be used throughout the product development life cycle
• Thoroughly understand product users, the tasks they are trying to accomplish and the environments in which they work, ensuring designs are based on real user behavior
• Apply best practices of user-centered design to create a consistent look-and-feel, wireframes, comps, workflows and potential prototypes that are user friendly, visually appealing and technically feasible
• Ensure solutions conform to current industry standards as well as to NASA's
internal guidelines and standards
• Knowledge and experience with incorporating and adapting 3rd party tools when reasonable
• Clearly communicate conceptual ideas, designs and rationale to stakeholders/teammates, incorporate constructive feedback/criticism, and make decisions as appropriate to reduce design debate
• Provide deliverables that managers can present, developers can code, and testers can test
• Experience using a complete software lifecycle, including requirements, analysis, design, construction and testing, is desired
• Prepare required documentation, including both program-level and user-level
• Experience interpreting and implementing report queries and application requirements for a productive user experience
• Good understanding of human factors engineering and software engineering process is greatly desired
• Operate as a self-starter, set and deliver on goals, consistently meet deadlines, and provide appropriate status on work activities
• Work effectively in a dynamic environment, adapt quickly, and make decisions with limited information
• The position requires appropriate written and verbal communication skills including presentation skills and the ability to comprehend and communicate design information precisely and unambiguously.
• Must be able to analyze and present quantitative data.
• Able to analyze and interpret data relating to various projects and resolve issues and problems that arise.
• Keep abreast of new and emerging technologies
• Great sense of responsibility and attention to detail
• Other duties as assigned
• 6+ years designing outstanding browser-based and mobile user experiences, some of which must have been for workplace/enterprise systems
• Strong online portfolio demonstrating your work – please include a link to such when applying
• Strong understanding of user-centered design, workflows, identity, color and layout
• Expertise in the use of Model-View-Controller user interface frameworks, such as Struts, Dojo, JSF or ExtJS
• Experience with various databases such as MySQL, SQL Server
• Expertise with Web Services, services oriented architecture, and the .NET framework is desired.
• Proven software development skills and knowledge of programming languages with a specific emphasis on the tools and technologies utilized in the development and deployment of GUIs and web-based applications required.
• Solid understanding of Object Oriented Programming concepts and design patterns is required.
• Proven ability to function well in a high performance software development environment with strong analytical counterparts
• Experience delivering web applications to support multiple commercial browsers such as Safari, Chrome, and FireFox
• Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and adapt to changing requirements
Other Desired Skills:
Experience supporting the science and/or satellite industry desirable
BA/BS in Graphic Design.
Degree in Computer Science or MIS desired
User Interface experience, or a related field
please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org