The Simons Foundation is looking for a User Experience Designer to fill a full-time position in our informatics team. Our team is excited to be undertaking a new, large project that will transform the way Simons Foundation supports the math and basic science research. Over time, this role will expand to work on improving the design of other software projects and websites at the Foundation. As part of the team, you will enjoy a fun but hardworking environment and have the opportunity to focus our passion and growth at the Foundation by developing professional and modern software in support of the Foundation's mission.
- Contribute to all aspects of the design process involving research, experimentation and revision.
- Elicit constructive feedback and interpret that feedback into design solutions
- Perform field research to discover and implement important design details that people may not realize they need
- Utilize and customize site analytics to understand current user behavior
- Incorporate usability testing feedback into design work
- Introduce Agile UX in to our Agile development and requirements environment
- Rapidly prototype emerging features and screens (wireframing, interactive prototypes, etc.)
- Develop set of UX-oriented style guidelines with which to direct our work
- Collaborate with others and work well with developers and product management
- Stay relevant with latest techniques, tools and designs.
Skills and Requirements
- Relevant undergraduate degree and four to six years (or equivalent) of web and user application design experience
- UI and UX Design expertise with a focus on UX
- Ability to solve design challenges with creativity, efficiency and precision.
- Experience with all stages of a design process, including a firm grasp of interaction and usability design, as well as graphic design and development concerns.
- Skilled at designing original websites and applications focused on user experience
- Must be self-directed, confident and able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication, in both written and spoken English, with both technical and not-so-technical people.
- Ability to explain why a design works or why it doesn't
- Experience integrating UX design with Agile software development
- Strong visual design skills (e.g., latest trends, color, typography).
- Strong interaction design skills (i.e., wireframing, prototyping - including quick low-fidelity prototypes - HTML5, CSS3).
- Portfolio or website required with application.
The Simons Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V.