HBO is Seeking Senior Staff Design Engineer/Interaction Designer -- HBO
Location Details:New York City/Seattle
With the success of its multi-platform HBO GO service, Home Box Office’s Digital Products group is redefining the modern entertainment experience for its millions of subscribers worldwide. While celebrating our 30+ years of developing award winning original programming and features (Game of Thrones, True Blood, Boardwalk Empire, Girls, Curb Your Enthusiasm, etc.), we are also dedicated to embracing and expanding our leadership in the digital space. HBO is exploring new avenues of interactive media, through multiple platforms, devices, and paradigms – ranging from the evolutionary to the experimental. We are looking for a talented Interaction Designer with strong design, technical, and problem solving skills to help us define and deliver new and innovative consumer experiences. The candidate will be part of a team that is responsible for designing and developing the vision for HBO's digital offerings, from both a conceptual and practical perspective; they need to be comfortable with both the forest AND its trees, with a proven ability to work across interaction, visual, and technical fields.
The ideal candidate is a brilliant problem solver, with a passion for great design and its role within Human Computer Interaction. A portfolio demonstrating sound design principles and process (sketches, IA, wireframes, etc.) coupled with elegantly functional and pixel-perfect solutions is required, as is a high degree of comfort with web-centric development tools and scripting languages. Experience with game development pipelines a plus. The candidate will work closely with a team of software developers, program managers, and UX designers (some remote), in a highly collaborative environment, employing a subset of Agile methodologies.
- A minimum of 5+ years’ work experience in a product development or consulting environment.
- Solid knowledge of fundamental design principles, Human Computer Interaction, and development process.
- A strong portfolio demonstrating breadth and creativity in successful interaction design, versatility with design and rapid prototyping tools and methods, and a strong understanding of design and creative process.
- A strong understanding of touch, NUI, and GUI interaction trends and industry standards, including emerging and speculative technologies.
- Expertise in designing product interaction models and behavioral prototypes.
- BA/BS in Interaction Design, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, Computer-related Design, HCI, Human Factors, or closely-related field.
- Strong foundational skill in Typography.
- Expertise in major graphics tools (Illustrator, Photoshop, Sketch, After Effects, Maya, Cinema 4D, Unity, et al.)