Custom Ink, the leader in custom apparel for groups and communities, is all about bringing people together. That's what inspires our innovative online platform, world-class customer support, and award-winning work environment. With 1,500 team members or “Inkers” and $350M in revenue, we are passionate about the success and well-being of our team and have earned frequent recognition as a top workplace from such organizations as Fortune Magazine. Our customers are counting on us to come through for them, and that’s important to all Inkers - no matter what role they’re in.
How you’ll make a difference:
You’ll be part of the team to design and craft the Custom Ink online experience used by millions of people to design, organize, and purchase custom t-shirts apparel and more for their groups, businesses, and community. You will support our product strategy and goals, and you will help us define and implement our customer experience vision using informed design practices. You will develop a team of Product Designers and ensure we are continually focused on the needs of our customers across the entire customer journey.
As a leader in your craft, you are the one that advocates for usable and beautiful designs. You know to articulate good design practices as well as direct your team members on how to get there. You not only help with problem-solving, but you are also seasoned at problem-framing (narrow and pinpoint what you choose to solve).
You know when to direct but you also know how and when to roll up your sleeves. You are collaborative by nature. Teams love working with you because you bring people together and you know when to push for a good UX but you also know when to make tradeoffs.
You understand the needs of the business as much as the needs of the user. You know how to gather information from both to ensure the results are communicated, you understand the risk vs. reward, and you know how to measure the success.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team: product managers, designers, and engineers to ensure the quality and consistency of the user experience across all platforms and devices.
- Partner with product managers to help them define project scope and KPIs by being the voice for the users.
- Manage a group of designers by providing overall design direction to your team and drive discussion and activities to achieve the maximum success of your products.
- Be responsible for the quality of your team’s deliverables.
- Give clear, actionable feedback to your team.
- Manage stakeholder expectations and actively have a check-ins with stakeholders.
- Use data and research to support your team’s decision making.
- Create career opportunities for your team by mentoring, training, and providing on going feedback to help them strengthen and grow their knowledge and skills.
- Stay up to date on design trends/technologies and user experience best practices.
- Champion user-centric design culture: you are not afraid of putting your work in front of users.
- Lead by example: You are not afraid of rolling up your sleeves and to showing your team how to get it done right.
- Influence & lead across teams.
How you’ll be measured:
As a Product Design Manager, you will lead the team to deliver on-time, high quality, low defect products that meet the KPIs. “Your team’s success is your success,” you will help build the team morale and improve their skill-sets. You are a team player and are open to ideas and feedback from other team members.
What we’re looking for:
- Roughly 10+ years in design and user experience.
- 5 years leading design teams that create groundbreaking outcomes, 3 years of which you’ve managed team members.
- Expert in user-centric design and user experience strategy.
- Comfortable managing and leading a team of 2-3 designers to deliver top-notch design experience for all channels.
- Excellent communication & presentation skills. Able to present your team’s work and clearly articulate the rationale for the direction that leads to end products.
- Open-minded and willing to entertain others’ ideas.
- Insatiable curiosity – You insist on staying on the leading edge of design and product thinking, and bringing that thinking to your product design solutions.
- Disruptive thinking with the ability to deliver – Bold ideas are your bread and butter. You have multiple examples where you’ve shaped and shipped unique design-led work.
- Strong storytelling prowess – You can weave insights into compelling narratives that bring stakeholders onboard and influence your team members; you have a natural ability to clearly articulate design decisions in a compelling way.
- Experience working directly with agile software development teams in a user-centered, cross-device, agile product development processes.
In addition, you must share our company values—practicing the Golden Rule, taking Ownership and driving and embracing Innovation.
Along with your resume, please include your professional portfolio or work examples.
CustomInk uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new team members. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.