Team Lead Designer–Developer Hybrid -- Product Studio
This opportunity is at a rapidly growing design and tech company in Toronto, Ontario that specializes in envisioning, designing, and building digital products. Unlike most digital agencies, they don't do campaign work. Instead, they work on products and platforms that have a real impact on clients' users and businesses.
This is an expansive role that mixes design, engineering, and leadership. This person will act as a permanent member of a scrum team, liaising between developers and the creative crew to help facilitate the creation, adaptation, and implementation of design work on a variety of projects. When working with designers, this person will be the voice of development, helping introduce opportunities and voice technical limitations. When working with the scrum team, this person will be responsible for quality implementation of design systems—both interactive and interaction-focused.
Strong competency in design, development, and leadership is a must. The person filling this role will need to be equally consumed with design theory and UX as with interactive technologies, and be able to lead others to a successful outcome. This person must be at ease working with creative teams and with developers, and also be able to produce results independently.
Projects and responsibilities include:
- Producing visual design for web, mobile, and tablet applications
- Conceptualizing and prototyping interactive systems with flexible, production-ready code
- Integrating visual identity systems into user experiences with an emphasis on usability and creativity
- Understanding and extending interaction design systems across a variety of platforms
- Thought leadership including regular contribution to the company blog, and aiding in the evolution and growth of the company’s practice areas. Critical thinking is a must.
- Typographic and compositional mastery
- Expert proficiency in design software, including Photoshop and Illustrator
- Lightning-fast coding skills for iterative prototyping
Desirable Skills & Experience
- BA/BFA or advanced degree in Multimedia Graphic Design, Interactive Design, or related field
- Experience designing and optimizing for mobile platforms
- Experience theming CMSes and platforms such as WordPress, Drupal, and Magento
A strong portfolio demonstrating clear understanding of interactive design principles, both graphical and technical, with examples of work prepared on a commercial or volunteer basis will be essential. This company understands that design is about sophisticated problem-solving and not just visual design aesthetics. Be prepared to show how you've used design techniques and artifacts to support thinking, design, and collaboration on complex projects. Visual appeal is very important, but this company will also be interested in how your portfolio demonstrates your ability to solve problems using design thinking and communication, and to apply user-centered design principles and practices. You should also be able to demonstrate how you've exercised leadership and vision over product strategy, ideation, design, and implementation. Technical work samples and/or a link to your work on GitHub will also be important to demonstrate your coding chops.
This role is being represented by Didus, a staffing and career development service focused on user-centered roles in research, design, technology, and strategy. We are not your typical recruiting agency that just wants to sell you on any role that fits your keywords; we work one-on-one with you to find the perfect fit. For more information, please visit: http://didus.com/experience-professionals
Interested in This Opportunity?
To apply, please visit:
And fill out the complete form, referencing opportunity ID TOR1305002.