Lead Designer -- Electronic Ink
About Design at Electronic Ink
At Electronic Ink, making interfaces that are beautiful is required, but not good enough. We are a design consultancy that solves complex business problems. Our value is in the ingenuity that we bring to bear on client needs, and we must constantly grow in this respect. Those who work here have a passion for learning. The progressive environment allows designers to assume more responsibility than they would at other design firms.
Design at Electronic Ink is the result of a process that is initiated by a period of research, of which the designer is a part. All designers must recognize the importance of research, and if you have training and/or personal experience with it, that’s even better. Our innovative solutions include creating functionally- and aesthetically-satisfying user interfaces. Our designers are a hybrid of UX and visual designers. This creates a more seamless – and stronger design process and product – than conventional firms that segregate the work of the two disciplines.
Essential to the Electronic Ink design process is equal collaboration among the project management (CPMs), design, research and technology teams, who together form the team that is responsible for our client relationships. This practice contrasts the “account manager” model, in which the client-designer relationship is mediated by someone who does not have direct responsibility for the design of the solution. Designers’ direct contact with clients ensures that mutual understanding of needs and parameters is achieved.
The Lead Designer both creates and oversees the design, look and feel, and user experience of various web-based applications, software and business systems. Lead Designers must have the ability to guide and oversee fellow team members. They are expected to develop a deep understanding of every client’s target audiences, their users’ behaviors, needs and expectations and confidently incorporate them into a comprehensive solution.
A lead designer is a…
- Demonstrates empathetic listening skills
- Creates and delivers compelling presentations
- Seeks to understands client’s business and how Electronic Ink can solve their problems
- Conducts strategic workshops and white boarding sessions
- Leads a team of designers, with Principal support
- Ensures that high quality research is taken into every deliverable
- Ensures that the projects are completed within original scope
- Travels locally, regionally, nationally and internationally, as needed
- Provides art direction to the Junior and Senior Designers on project teams
- Mentors less experienced designers within the Design group
- Creates intuitive workflow-driven graphical products such as user interface solutions for websites, mobile devices, business systems, and other applications under the direction of a Principal Designer
- Conducts all project work including:
- Workflows (user’s pathways through an environment)
- Product maps (high-level information architecture)
- Wireframes (details oriented information architecture)
- Data visualization diagramming (dissecting complex information into visuals)
- Aesthetic modeling (visual ergonomics with typefaces, fonts, colors, patterns and textures)
- UI specifications (pixel dimensions, user behaviors within an environment and technology build methods)
- Demonstrates the ability to follow style guides, design requirements and brand identity standards
- Possesses excellent layout and typography skills
- Demonstrates proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite, other creative tools, and functional skills in Microsoft Office
- Creates effective presentations and reports
Skills and Experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Case studies of satisfying collaborations
Bachelor’s degree or significant experience (5 to 8 years) working in a design field